Slow cooker Mexican chicken stew
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 (16 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Chopped fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), sliced avocado, shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, hot sauce, etc.
Mix together the cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the spice mixture.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray (or add a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil) and sear the chicken thighs until well browned on both sides, about 6-8 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
Add the can of tomatoes to the sauté pan to deglaze it and use a spoon to scrape up any charred bits that are stuck on the bottom.
Add the tomatoes, onion and green chilies to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. (Or cook on low for 6 hours.)
Uncover, add the beans, then cover and cook for another 1 hour on high (or another 2 hours on low).
Spoon chicken stew into bowls and serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!