The Montana Folk Festival is happening this weekend in beautiful Butte, America! It’s one of my favorite events of the year. I can’t wait to sit down on a grassy patch at the Original Mine and watch the show! We have been blessed to host the Folk Festival for the past 10 years. It’s an excellent economic stimulant, and it certainly brings some variety to our summers! Huge kudos to Main Street Uptown Butte and Mr. George Everett for making it happen!
While you are out enjoying the festivities, please remember these very important things:
- Leave your pets at home! The Montana Folk Festival is a dog-free environment. Yes, I know you love to take your pup with you wherever you go. Before you decide to pack them up anyway, please think of their comfort. Even your sweetheart of a dog can get a little anxious in such a large crowd. Whether or not they act on the urge to protect you, you’re putting them in a tough position. Plus, it’s hot out there! The weather man is calling for temperatures in the mid-to-high eighties this weekend. That’s pretty uncomfortable for your pet. I’m sure they would like it better if you left them home in a comfortable spot with plenty of fresh food and water.
- Stay hydrated yourself! The heat gets to you more than you might realize. Make sure you take advantage of the many vendors around the festival area, and keep drinking those cold beverages. If you are partaking in alcohol, remember to alternate with water so you don’t get too dehydrated- your body will thank you in the morning.
- What you do matters! You are an ambassador to this community. Out of town guests are forming their impressions of Butte based on what they see happening at the festival. Do your best to represent us positively. Not only are you helping form our image to the world, there will also be several businesses here looking to potentially invest in our community. Help them make the right decision! I’m not telling you to not have fun, just keep it somewhat clean!
- I promise that your festival experience will be 10 times better if you make the effort to meet some new people. Chat with the people around you. Learn a little about where they came from, and why they came to Butte. Direct them to your favorite food vendor, your favorite watering hole, or the best place to find pasties to take home. Not only will you enhance their experience, you’ll leave the festival feeling pretty good yourself.
- Be courteous to the musicians. This goes double for the smaller, more intimate venues. These performers came from all corners of the earth to share their music with you. Don’t be that person in the front row talking loudly on their phone while others are trying to enjoy the performance. Be considerate to fellow festival goers and the performers. Remember, we want them to come back too!
- Put your drop in the bucket. The Montana Folk Festival depends on your donation! The suggested donation amount is $20 per individual, or $30 per family. Whatever you can afford to donate is awesome! Just make sure you contribute to next year’s Montana Folk Festival.
Enjoy your weekend! I hope to see you all uptown enjoying this amazing event.