- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) tomato condensed soup
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon salt adjust to preference
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cheese filled tortellini
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley optional
- Toppings: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, large spoonful of ricotta cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef until cooked through. Add the onion and garlic in the last few minutes of the cooking. They don’t need to cook or get all the way tender, I just like them to have a little bit of that “skillet-cooked” flavor.
While the beef is cooking, pour the crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato condensed soup in the slow cooker. No need to drain any of the cans!
Add in the sugar and seasonings – the dried basil, fennel, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the cooked ground beef with onions and garlic. Add in the beef broth.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hours.
About 15-20 minutes before you are ready to serve, pour the frozen tortellini’s into the soup. Turn the slow cooker up to high (or leave it if it was already on high) and let the tortellini cook.
Serve in bowls with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, a large spoonful of ricotta cheese any extra seasonings you want, and some freshly chopped parsley.