Slow Cooker Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This Slow Cooker Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is going to change your life! Free up the oven and get the moistest carrot cake you’ve ever had – right from your slow cooker! Made without oil or butter and loaded with coconut, pineapple and pecans!
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional) I used pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 8.25 oz can crushed pineapple – do not drain
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Lay down two pieces of foil perpendicular to each other making sure there is enough foil that it hangs over the edges of the slow cooker. These will be your handles later.
- Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together applesauce, sugar, and eggs.
- Whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in carrots, coconut, nuts, vanilla extract, and pineapple.
- Gently pour batter into the prepared slow cooker.
- Place several folded paper towels between the lid and the slow cooker – this will absorb some of the steam and keep it from dripping back onto the cake.
- Cook on low for 2 hours 45 minutes to 3 hours and 15 minutes, rotating the insert 90 degrees every 30 minutes or so. (Not necessary if your slow cooker heats evenly.)
- Test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. The cake should be slightly domed when done.
- Remove the insert from the slow cooker and place on a wire rack. Let the cake cool in the insert for 30 minutes.
- Use the foil sling to lift the cake, still in the liner, out of the insert. Place on a cooling rack. Gently remove liner from the cake.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until nice and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until nice and smooth.
- Frost the completely cooled cake, cutting into layers if desired.
- Top with toasted coconut (optional).