Slow Cooker Stuffing
2 lbs hearty white sandwich bread , diced into pieces between 1/2 and 3/4-inch thick, or 15 cups store-bought dried unseasoned bread cubes
- 2 – 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth , as needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper , or to taste
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot (dice small)
- 1 large clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley , plus more for garnish
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage (or 2 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried, crushed)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees (if using store-bought dried bread skip the drying in oven step). Spread bread cubes evenly onto 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven on alternating oven racks, until bread cubes are dried, while rotating baking sheets and also removing from oven and tossing bread cubes occasionally, about 45 – 55 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool (I recommend doing this step a day or two before and storing cooled bread cubes in a gallon size resealable bags).
In a bowl mix together 2 cups of the chicken broth with the eggs, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper until well blended. Pour dried bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl.
Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and saute until soft, about 8 – 12 minutes, adding in garlic during last minute of sauteing. Pour onion mixture, along with parsley, sage, thyme and marjoram over bread cubes in mixing bowl and immediately toss. Then evenly drizzle chicken broth mixture over top and immediately toss to evenly coat. Add in more broth just as needed to moisten bread (you don’t want it soaked or it will end up soggy, the bread should hold it shape and doesn’t need to be entirely moistened all the way through).
Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray then pour bread cube mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat 30 minutes then reduce heat to low and cook 3 1/2 – 5 hours longer. Sprinkle top with more fresh parsley (about 1 Tbsp) and serve warm.