Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
For the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water to create a slurry
- Chopped green onions, for serving
For the Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing (omit to make dairy free):
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus additional for serving
- Lightly coat a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the hot sauce, coconut oil, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave until the coconut oil is melted (about 45 seconds), then stir until smooth. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker, then cook for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from crockpot and shred.
- About 30 minutes before the chicken is done, bake the sweet potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending upon the size of your sweet potato. Turn off the oven and leave the sweet potatoes inside to keep them warm.
- Once the chicken is shredded and while the sweet potatoes bake, mix the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water together to create a slurry. Add it to the cooking liquid in the slow cooker, then whisk to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken, stirring once halfway through. Once thick, return the chicken to the slow cooker and toss to coat.
- For the blue cheese yogurt topping: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients—Greek yogurt, milk, white vinegar, black pepper, and blue cheese. Split open the sweet potatoes, then top with the crock pot buffalo chicken, a drizzle of the blue cheese dressing, and green onions. Enjoy hot.