Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion sliced (plus additional for serving, if desired)
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 lemon halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Olive oil about 1 tablespoon, salt, and pepper
- For serving: pita bread or rice or salad; Tzatziki sauce; feta cheese; sliced red onion; sliced olives; sliced tomatoes; lettuce; sliced cucumber
Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag. Drizzle with olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic to the bag. Seal the bag, toss to coat the chicken. You can let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or overnight), or you can just use it right away.
Place onion, carrots, and lemon halves in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with chicken and herbs from the bag.
Cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours, or on high for about 2-3 hours. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Chop chicken or shred with a fork before serving.
Pile the chicken on top of pita bread, rice, or salad. Garnish with Tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, olives, and fresh veggies.